Chef Michael Diem
I was raised in a Navy family with seven siblings. We traveled a lot when we were young. I was inspired to cook at a young age, especially when famous chef Jacques Pepin was a keynote speaker at my high school in San Diego.
My first culinary job was cooking at the Captain Whidbey Inn situated on an island north of Seattle. I cooked throughout my college years. Then I graduated from the Le Cordon Bleu California Culinary Academy in San Francisco. It was a pleasure working with renowned chefs at some the best restaurants and catering companies in the city. Afterwards, I moved on to work at Fullers restaurant in Seattle starting as chef de tournand and then sous chef under Cathy Casey and Caprial Pence.
Following that, I was hired to open the Broadway Bar and Grill in Santa Monica. I designed the kitchen layout, curated the menu, and hired and trained the staff. My role was pivotal in the creation of a successful restaurant concept that received considerable acclaim.
Then, I moved to the Sun Valley, Idaho area. During this time, I opened and ran a fine dining restaurant that was hailed as a “local’s favorite” in an affluent ski resort town. My free time was spent in the local community. It was important to me to work and volunteer on the ski mountain, and give time and money to local organizations and schools.
My reputation has been one as an enthusiastic, creative, and inspiring chef. With the ever-changing nature of people’s health, I’m keen on addressing dietary trends and restrictions like gluten-free, lactose-free, and paleolithic concerns.
Above all else, I continue to be an avid learner who develops many of my culinary beliefs from reading and conversing with people who are fitness and health experts. You can also find me teaching cooking classes at PCC Community Markets, something I would love to do in your home too as part of this fabulous Seattle chef team at Honest to Goodness!
Highlights from Chef Michael's Menus
- Osso Buco with Gremolata and Mushroom Risotto
- Citrus-Glazed Black Cod over Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Bison Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Roasted Tomato and White Bean Stew
- Sole Wrapped Asparagus with Lemon-Thyme Sauce
- Asian Marinated and Roasted Chicken Thighs with Sauteed Veggies
- Baked Rigatoni with Chicken Sausage
- Coconut Curried Lamb Stew
- Sheet Pan Harissa Salmon with Potatoes and Citrus
- Pasta with Kale, Shiitake Mushrooms, and Beyond Meat Italian Sausage
- Roast Chicken with Black Beans, Quinoa, and Broccolini